Dyeing with natural dyes

I had 4 skeins, each approximately 60-70 grams, of hand spun undyed wool. Excellent to try out some natural dyeing. In the past I promised myself only to dye with natural dyes after I had done a workshop. But the workshop has still to be done. I bought some books instead, browsed the internet for more information and to buy some ingredients. After that I dyed the hand spun. I still don't know whether it was a bit disappointing or not. On the other hand it was the very first time to use natural dyes, so there is still a lot to discover and learn.
The wool is of unknown sheep. The lady who did spin it has five sheep, but did not tell me the breed and I did not ask for it.
The wool is a bit rough, I am planning to knit Dory a skirt out of it.... albeit she is currently very picky with what to wear and, above all, what not. Unfortunately hand knit items are in her prohibited list.

Left to the right: dyed in madder root (I used only a little), annatto seed second dyebath, annatto seed first dyebath, rhubarb root.

Comments

Myrthestiek said…
Met natuurlijke verfstoffen is het altijd een verrassing hoe het eruit komt. Eigenlijk nooit iets dat ook maar in de buurt komt van de vorige keer.
Met wat zijn deze strengen nu geverfd?
Alice said…
Oh ja, vergeten erbij te zetten :-).
Van links naar rechts (in NLs): meekrap, annato (2e bad), annato (1e bad), rabarberwortel.
Anonymous said…
Ik zou niet teleurgesteld zijn,de kleuren zijn echt super mooi geworden!
Tucana's Dream said…
Ik vind het schitterend zelfs!
Helemaal niet teleurstellend!
Ik heb mij dat ook voorgenomen om binnen een jaar ofzo eens een workshop te volgen, ik denk niet dat ik daarvoor zal beginnen met natuurlijk verven... lijkt me te veel werk...
Yummy yarn you did a great job;)
serajah said…
ziet er goed uit!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Swap

Yarn contest

101 About 100