The wool I used to try this out was the veggie O'Wool from an earlier post. This wool is absolute not suitable for children's clothing, but it will be useful for scarves or bags. I'm not sure what to knit with it yet, I'm leaning towards that popular Clapotis right now, especially because it is said to be a no-brainer to knit.
The oranges are both dyed with Madder root, the darker is fixed with citric acid, for the lighter one I used alum.
The blues were not meant to be all blue. One of them was dyed with Logwood, dipped in Indigo. It was supposed to come out more purple, but it did not. Another one was originally green, dyed with Weld, dipped in Indigo. It really was green, until I decided to fix the Indigo with citric acid - it turned into blue. Bad decision, never too old to learn. :-) The other three are blue as they were supposed to be. Well, I am pretty content anyway.